These delicious tartlets are packed with creamy Dubliner and buttery pastry with a crunch from the fresh asparagus.
300g / 10.5oz fresh asparagus spears
1 tbsp canola oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
zest of 1 lemon
300g / 10.5oz shortcrust pastry
flour, for dusting
4 free-range eggs
250ml /8.5 floz double cream
200g / 7 oz Dubliner cheese
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Wash the asparagus spears then snap away and discard any woody ends. Place on a baking sheet and brush with the canola oil, sprinkle over the crushed garlic and lemon zest.
- Lightly grease the tartlet molds with a little oil. Sprinkle some flour over a clean board, roll out the pastry and line the molds with it. Trim the edges with a knife then line with baking or parchment paper and fill with baking beans or dried lentils.
- Bake the prepared asparagus and the tart shell in the oven alongside each other for 10 minutes.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisk in the cream and the grated Dubliner cheese, then season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Take the asparagus out of the oven and keep it to one side. Then take the tart shell out of the oven and carefully tip out the baking beans or lentils and lift out the paper. Put the tart shell back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Take the tart shell out of the oven again and place the roasted asparagus into the tart. Pour the egg and cheese mixture evenly over the top of the asparagus.
- Bake the filled tartlets for a further 15 minutes, until the filling is bubbling and golden.