This moist sponge cake is topped with caramelised rhubarb and fiery crystallised ginger – a classic combination!
Makes 1 Cake
40g / 1.5 oz unsalted Kerrgold butter
200g / 7 oz soft brown sugar
2 tbsp crystallised ginger, finely chopped
350g / 12 oz rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm pieces
200g / 7 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
200ml / 7 floz buttermilk
2 medium eggs
100ml/ 3 floz vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a 24cm ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Stir in half the sugar, and cook for about 2 minutes. Then add in one third of the crystallised ginger. Remove from the heat and add the sliced rhubarb, enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk the remaining sugar with the buttermilk, eggs, oil and the rest of the crystallised ginger. Fold in the flour mixture and mix well. Pour over the rhubarb and smooth the surface.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes then invert on to a serving plate. Serve with crème fraiche.